Choose your language (English or French) above / Choisissez votre langue (français ou anglais) en haut
***If you were a succesful candidate in the 2017 Call for Expression of Interest, and are already included in the Directory of Experts, please use your log-in details used during the application process to access your profile. No action is required.
CALL FOR EXPRESSION OF INTEREST
for inclusion in the Directory of Experts for CRVS System Strengthening
How to apply? Use your FluidReview account to log-in on the right to access the application form. You must create a new submission for this Call, even if you had started or submitted an application for the 2017 Call 1.
Need an account? Sign-up on the right
Systematic reporting and registration of vital and civil events — including birth, death (and causes of death), marriage, and divorce — is critical for improving reproductive, maternal, newborn, child, and adolescent health, and for protecting human rights, especially those of vulnerable groups such as women and children. As such, the statistics generated from this data become valuable evidence to inform change. For example, having access to accurate information on causes of death gives policymakers and practitioners the knowledge they need to review the circumstances leading to maternal and child deaths, identify preventable factors, and take action where needed. A well-functioning civil registration and vital statistics (CRVS) system can therefore play a catalytic role in equitable and sustainable human development. The information it holds can not only save lives, but also provide proof of legal identity, facilitating access to essential services such as health care and education. Such crucial information systems are, however, inadequate in many countries. The United Nations estimates that one-third of the world’s births and two-thirds of the world’s deaths are not registered or are incorrectly certified.
DIRECTORY OF EXPERTS
In order to facilitate access to technical expertise and assistance for strengthening CRVS systems, the Centre of Excellence for CRVS Systems, housed at the International Development Research Centre (IDRC), has established a Directory of Experts that includes over 100 experts readily available to support CRVS system strengthening activities at country, regional and global levels. The Centre of Excellence, CRVS stakeholders and other global partners may draw upon the experts in this directory to request specific technical expertise, or offer research, capacity building or consultancy opportunities.
CALL FOR EXPRESSION OF INTEREST
The Centre of Excellence is now launching its second call for expression of interest to invite professionals who have extensive operational or policy making experience in one of the following specialized areas to apply for inclusion in the Directory of Experts:
- Law - Eligible legal experts should have the capacity to support a changing process of updating CRVS legal frameworks at the country level. They should have experience in reviewing, analyzing and drafting legislative corpus such as laws, acts, regulations and directives associated with CRVS. Additionally, strong knowledge of international human rights, privacy and personal data protection, and refugees, migrants or internally displaced populations is desirable.
- Digitization - Eligible digitization experts should have the capacity to design IT Systems and innovative solutions aligned with CRVS systems operational requirements. In addition, technical knowledge in one or more of the following areas is desirable: business process mapping and analysis; software and database development, design and management; IT infrastructure design and management; system integration and interoperability; and mobile technology.
- Communication, social mobilization and behavior change - Eligible candidates will be those with experience in social sciences, cultural anthropology, and/or communication for development. This includes socio-cultural research; development of evidence based measurable communication for development strategies to support change at individual and community levels; development of communication tools; and/or program management.
- Civil registration (female applicants only) - Eligible candidates will be those with experience at policy level or in operation and management of civil registration systems. Additionally, experience in public administration, decentralization, systems modernization and reform is highly desirable.
- Statistics (female applicants only) - Eligible statisticians will be those with experience in conducting assessment, planning, monitoring and strengthening coordination within CRVS and/or other data systems. In addition, experience in developing or using tools for data gathering and analysis for use in vital statistics reporting, administrative statistics, household surveys, and the demographic analysis of mortality and fertility data is desirable.
- Management of large operations (female applicants only) - Eligible management experts will have experience supporting strategic and operational planning processes, as well as providing guidance on organizational and institutional development. Additionally, they should have strong knowledge of the best practices of project management and service delivery.
WHY YOU SHOULD APPLY
As a technical expert, you will contribute to the systematic strengthening of CRVS systems in developing countries. Specifically, a technical expert may contribute to:
- Assessment, planning, and monitoring of CRVS systems
- Improving/amending of national legislative framework
- Strengthening inter-sectoral coordination
- Business process mapping and review
- Vital statistics reporting
- Mass registration processes
- CRVS in fragile contexts
- Understanding and facilitating CRVS systems-related behavior and socio-cultural change interventions
- Education: Advanced university degree in the respective area(s) of expertise or other relevant area. Professional experience of 5 years may be substituted for an advanced degree.
- Work Experience: At least 7-10 years of professional work experience at national, regional and/or international levels in the respective area(s) of expertise. Experience in developing countries will constitute a substantial asset.
- Experience and/or familiarity with UN agencies, in particular: UNICEF, WHO, UNFPA, UNDP and the UN Economic and Social Council is desired and will constitute an asset.
- Language Proficiency: Fluency in English and/or French is required for any deployment/contract. Fluency in other languages, in particular UN languages, will constitute an asset.
PRIVACY AND USE OF INFORMATION
The Directory of Experts is an electronic database housed at IDRC. To protect applicant information and privacy, the directory will not be made publicly available or searchable. Direct access to the directory is limited to the staff members of the Centre of Excellence for CRVS Systems, IDRC, and select national, regional, and global CRVS stakeholders who are seeking technical assistance from CRVS Experts. The Centre of Excellence will assume no responsibility for any contracts formalized between other stakeholders and experts in the directory. A detailed privacy and consent policy is included in the application form.
Questions about the Centre of Excellence for CRVS Systems or the Directory of Experts? Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Any technical questions/issues regarding your FluidReview account must be directed to email@example.com